Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Our Thanksgiving Weekend

Our family was really bummed not to be able to go home to Kansas for Thanksgiving, but many reasons prevented us from doing so. But being a "Black Friday" shopaholic, I couldn't bear spending Black Friday in a town where my only shopping option was Wal-Mart.

So Nate and I decided to order our Thanksgiving Meal from the Club on base. Though it wasn't our most elaborate Thanksgiving ever, it was special to spend it together as a family. We had an impromptu Thanksgiving feast the night before with our dear friends, the Thomas family, which was so special to us, and counted that as our "real" Thanksgiving meal. But our club meal was our back up meal which served it's purpose.
Then, we loaded up the van, and headed south about 75 minutes to Wichita Falls, TX. We stayed in a great hotel at a reasonable price (gotta love military discounts!!) and had a great weekend. Our hotel had a pool which kept the boys happy. We went to Chuck E. Cheese to use up some tokens that have been sitting in our van for over six months now.
And no trip is complete without a random tent in a parking lot with free viewing of caged animals. The poor animals acted starved and practically attacked me as I tried to feed them the goat food. And though I'm not a PETA spokesperson, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the tiger in the 6' by 4' cage.
And of course, I got to go shopping!! Like hardcore, in the store by 4:30 a.m. kind of shopping. I can honostly say that every year Black Friday is crazy, but this was THE CRAZIEST Black Friday I've EVER experienced. I don't know if the deals were that great, or if it was the economy that got people out trying to catch a deal, but it was nuts! Luckily no one got shot or trampled like in other parts of the country, but I heard many people say that they "will never do this again" and I hope they are right, for my shopping sake.

Luckily, Wal-Mart matches local competitors prices, so that was my first stop (Don't cry Dad!). Then I hit a great Christian bookstore/Homeschool store with lots of good deals. Toys R Us, Target, Hobby Lobby, you name it, I was there. I got some great deals and am over 90% done with our Christmas shopping. I'd take a picture of our loot, but I have a feeling, some of the recipients of these gifts may be reading this. ;)

And if you think my husband was just being generous watching the boys in the hotel room while I shopped our savings away, let me clear that up. The deal was, I got to shop, and he'd watch the boys. And in the evenings, he'd go see a movie in an actual movie theatre and I'd watch the boys. And the afternoons we spent together as a family.

On Saturday, we headed back to the Boonies and went to a Christmas Tree Farm to pick out our Christmas Tree. We even got to chop it down ourselves! (by "we" of course I mean "Nate".)

So that was our weekend in a nutshell. Never a dull moment in the Tolle house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sure missed you guys at Thanksgiving, but it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun and that makes me feel better. I'm glad you're doing so well. By the way, you sure didn't get the shopping gene from me. I detest shopping. No Black Fridays for me.

I miss you, Natie, and the baby boys. Hope Baby #3 is doing great.

Love,
Your mama

I'm Erin. said...

oooh,did you play Deal or No Deal at Chuck's??