Thursday, August 6, 2009

Vacation, Part 1

We just made it back from our vacation to Colorado Springs. We had an absolute blast.!! It was really hard to leave. In the military, often times vacations are spent going to see immediate family, since you aren't stationed near them. For us, that means Kansas and Florida get most of our vacation time and dollars. Although we LOVE both Kansas and Florida, we wanted to go somewhere different this time and actually rest and spend time together as a family. Nate and I both have histories in Colorado Springs...Nate went to the Air Force Academy there and I have family there and have spent most of my childhood vacations there up until I got married. We've never been there together so we decided to go there and start building some memories there together.


Where to start...


I always overpack for vacations, and since our family is growing, and we took our big dog with us, I tried really really hard to pack light and not to bring a lot of "what if this happens" items. Every time I've gone to Colorado in summer, I've always packed jeans and a sweatshirt "just in case" but have never used them...so I skipped them this time. Well, the first two days we were there the high was 55 degrees. Boy those sweatshirts would have come in handy. We went to the zoo with the boys in their pajamas because it was the only pants they had. We bundled them up pretty well though.
All three snug a boos.




The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo was awesome. It gives you a workout climbing up the mountains to see the animals though. You don't feel as guilty eating that funnel cake when you have to take an uphill hike to see the tigers. :) My dear friend, Jen, came down from Denver to meet us at the zoo. It was great to see her and her kiddos, plus she had extra children's coats, which we were thankful for.

The zoo with a veiw.









My friend Jen and I with our children.

We also visited Nate's old stomping grounds at the Academy. He was cool to see the place where he endured hundreds of hours of torture, er, I mean, training. Corban took an instant liking to the place where daddy learned to fly planes and said he wants to be a Cadet when he grows up too. Oh boy.


The United States Air Force Academy Chapel with Nate on stroller duty (I had stroller duty on the downhill climb ;)


Next stop, Focus on the Family. Our boys loved playing here, and Nate and I are all about free fun. Although once we got to the bookstore, the "free" part stopped. Being the book-a-holics that we are, we spent a pretty penny there.


Corban and Caleb put on a show for us.

Love it! Can you tell how thrilled Nate is to put his face
in the cut out of a boy with a dog bone?






Another clap and dance and run around the stage show.





To be continued...

3 comments:

Lauren The Artist said...

ooooh, that looks so very fun!

Anonymous said...

Audrey,

Thanks for the great pictures from Colorado. Do you remember going with me to have our kid's picture taken? I was about in tears because Sarah wouldn't smile. Come to find out, she thought she was smiling. We are still trying to work on that. Focus on the Family is a fun place to kids. Our garden is keeping us busy putting produce in the freezer. However, I need to focus on getting school started. We would all rather just read a good book and work on the farm. Looks like Canaan is growing fast. He must be trying to catch up with his big brothers. Enjoy these pre-school years.

Love you, Ruth

Evangeline S. Schultz said...

I'm pretty sure you took me on the same vacation back in 2002! Garden of the Gods, visit to Grandma's and Jen Dodge's house???? Come on. You gotta remember! It was the greatest trip of my life!